Sick Birch Tree Clump

Last spring I purchased a Birch Clump. There are 3 trees in the clump and it is about 8-9 feet tall. All last summer it was very sickly looking, dropping yellowing leaves off and on all summer. I talked to the nursery it purchased it from and they said they would insure it for an additional year. This summer it hasn't been in GREAT condition, the leaves are sparce and tiny, but didn't start dropping leaves until the last couple of weeks. Naturally, now my additional year is up :(
    My dilemma is...., I love this clump, but it is so sad and sickly looking I am beside myself what to do! I am not ready to give up on it yet. I have added some chelated (?) iron to the grass around it several times this summer, but it hasn't improved it at all.
    Hoping someone can give me some advice :cry:
    Thanks
    lynda2001@voyager.net

pruninggal Guest
    Hi Lynda2001,

First let us know where you are located. Also, check this website to see if you have planted it in the right place and are treating it accordingly: http://www.hcs.ohio-state.edu/hcs/TM.../be_nigra.html

We'll check back and try to help!
    Pruninggal

sick birch clump

i live about 2/3 of the way up the lower peninsula of michigan. i will check out the web site you recommended and let you know if there is anything that i have been remiss in doing. thank you so much for your attention to my problem.
    lynda

i read the web site you recommended and i can't see anything that i have missed doing. the tree is planted in an area of the yard that allows it to recieve sunshine from mid morning till 6 or 7 in the evening. i have an underground water system so it gets adequate water. i have used tree fertilizer spikes recommended by our local nursery, 2 last year and 2 so far this year. this tree was just planted in early june of last summer and has not looked healthy since then. i have never trimmed it other than to snip off a couple of very tiny twigs that didn't have any leaves on them. the trees leaves sparce and are very small.
    this is about all i know. i can take some photos of it if you think that would help.
    again, thank you.
    lynda

Are there holes in the trunk?

Check the photo album in my signature and scroll to the white birch trunk with the "D" shaped hole. Do you have holes like that?

Borers are one possibility of several things to consider.