Overwintering Impatiens

Last year I attempted to overwinter impatiens. I moved them indoors near a window, but soon all their leaves dropped off leaving bare stems. I was disappointed so I gave up. This year, I have a healthy New Guinea impatien and some regular impatien wallerianas that I want to overwinter. I can't stand losing them. How do you overwinter them? Is leaf loss normal?

Please help, winter is coming and I don't want the frost to kill them, nor do I want to take them home and watch them die.

Thanks!

is it a perennial to your zone? maybe you can collect the seeds and replant next year

I have impatients of all varieties that are years old! I have a "greenhouse" of sorts, which is really just a closed in garage with large glass sliding doors. I bring all my plants I want to keep into it, and run a small electric heater when it gets really cold. I am a little further south than you, but I think it would work for you too. They don't mind cool weather ( down to 50 degrees or so) and yes, sometimes they do lose some leaves, but most of mine simply keep growing. I get comments all the time about all the blooms inside the "hothouse" all winter long! In the spring I put them back outside. Sometimes I prune, sometimes not. They just keep growing. I think the secret might be the sunlight they receive and the cooler temps. I don't even keep them that wet in the winter, and they thrive. Give it a try in the coolest spot you have available, and the most moist. Maybe they will make it. If not, collect the seed and do it again come spring.

I have also tried to overwinter mine. One year it appeared to work great. The plant was blooming and flourishing. Then like you said the leaves dropped and it died. I tried one more time last year. All the leaves dropped right away.
    The only thing I have any luck keeping over the winter are geraniums.

I gave it a try...but it did not work. It was strange, because the minute I take them inside, they stop growing and lose their leaves. Then they died. Oh well, not a big deal because I discover growing them from seed is really easy (yes, I did collect some). :)